Are you searching for a way to achieve a slimmer waist? You’ll find the solution in a body contouring procedure like liposuction or a tummy tuck. Here are some things to consider when deciding which one is the best fit:
- Fat distribution: As the name suggests, a tummy tuck only targets your midsection. That means this surgery could be a great match if your stomach is your only problem spot. However, if you’d also like to address unwanted fat on your thighs, upper arms, or elsewhere, then you’ll need liposuction.
- Skin elasticity: If you have good skin elasticity, liposuction could be a great way to eliminate stubborn belly fat. Keep in mind that it doesn’t offer any skin tightening benefits. A tummy tuck will be a better match if you have loose, hanging, or stretched skin.
- Stretch marks and scars: A tummy tuck can remove or reduce some of the stretch marks on your lower stomach. It can also improve the appearance of scars from a C-section or hysterectomy. Many women enjoy this unexpected advantage of the procedure, particularly after pregnancy or massive weight loss. Liposuction, on the other hand, does nothing for skin tone or texture.
- Muscle tone: Something that really sets tummy tuck surgery apart is that it can be used to tighten weakened or separated abdominal muscles. This step will help make your core stronger and more stable. As a result, you may notice an improvement in issues such as urinary incontinence and low back pain. If that’s something you’re interested in, then a tummy tuck is going to be your best bet.
- End goal: If your wish is to just fit and feel better in your clothing, then liposuction may be the perfect choice. If you’re looking for a return to that bikini or bare midriff, then the more aggressive tummy tuck might be the best option for you!
You don’t have to pick between liposuction and a tummy tuck. A combination approach allows you to enjoy all the great benefits listed above — without compromise! If you view our tummy tuck before and after gallery, you’ll see that many of our patients choose to have both procedures.
Get Matched with Your Perfect Surgical Plan
Talk to board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. John Corey to learn if one or both of these popular body contouring procedures can help you achieve your goals. Schedule your consultation today by calling 480-767-7700. We happily welcome patients from Scottsdale, Phoenix, Chandler, Mesa, and across Arizona.