A tummy tuck (abdominoplasty) is an invasive procedure that requires a skilled and experienced plastic surgeon to achieve your desired results. It’s important to “shop around” when looking for the right plastic surgeon and create a list of questions to ask during your consultation to ensure you’re making the best decision for you and your health. Additionally, there are a few types of tummy tucks which vary in invasiveness and the resulting scars.
Some of the most important questions to ask your plastic surgeon include:
- Are you board-certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery? Board certification requires surgeons to have extensive training and stay up to date with the latest techniques and technologies available for this field.
- Do you have before and after photos for tummy tuck procedures? Look at the plastic surgeon’s before and after gallery to get an idea of what they’re capable of and your potential results. You can also reach out to former patients about their experience with that plastic surgeon.
- What surgical facilities do you partner with and are they accredited and state-licensed? Plastic surgeons typically use nearby surgical centers to perform procedures, and you need to know which facility you’ll be admitted to for the surgery.
- What type of tummy tuck do you recommend for me? Our board-certified plastic surgeon offers full and mini tummy tucks as well as combination options such as the mommy makeover.
- Am I a good candidate for a tummy tuck? The best candidates for tummy tucks are close to their goal weight, in good health and have reasonable expectations for their results. Women interested in tummy tucks should also be done having children as pregnancy can reverse the outcome.
- What should I expect during my recovery? The recovery period for a tummy tuck will depend on whether you have a full or mini abdominoplasty and may require you to have outside help from family and friends, especially if you have small children.
- How are complications handled and what are my options if I’m unhappy with my results? Most plastic surgeons have a protocol for these situations and will work with you to make sure you achieve the best outcome possible for your tummy tuck.
If you’re interested in a tummy tuck, please contact Dr. Corey in Scottsdale today at 480-767-7700 to schedule your consultation. Dr. John Corey is a board-certified plastic surgeon who serves clients in Phoenix, Gilbert, Mesa, Chandler and, Arizona.