How To Maintain Your Liposuction Results


woman in white underwear with body contours around her figureLiposuction is a popular cosmetic procedure for patients looking to eliminate areas of stubborn fat on the thighs, abdomen, hips, and other areas of the body. It’s ideal for patients who may be working out and eating healthy but are struggling to lose weight in specific areas of the body. Liposuction, while not a weight loss procedure, can help you reach your cosmetic goals and increase your confidence.

Are the Results From Liposuction Permanent? 

Remember, according to the best science we have presently, it seems that fat cells are like muscle cells. When we work out, those muscle cells get bigger and when we stop, they get smaller..but they don't change in number. It seems that fat cells are the same. For most of us, we have a set, stable number of fat cells. As our weight changes those cells get bigger and smaller, but their number does not change. Liposuction  involves permanently removing targeted fat cells from the body; therefore, those cells cannot return. However, remaining fat cells will continue to get bigger and smaller as your weight fluctuates . Because of this, liposuction is an effective way to target very spcific areas that seem the most stubborn to any type of diet and exercise, which can give patients a real boost when trying to achieve their ideal figure.  But... they must continue to live a healthy lifestyle to maintain their results. 

How To Maintain Your Liposuction Results

A healthy, balanced lifestyle is the best way to maintain your liposuction results. Following your liposuction, weight fluctuations can alter your results, so it's best to maintain a stable weight. This is done through a healthy diet and consistent exercise. 

Balanced Diet

A balanced diet includes lean meats, plenty of fruits and vegetables, and whole-grain foods. Furthermore, cutting back on highly processed foods high in additives, saturated fat and sugar is important. Your diet is an important component for maintaining a stable weight. However, this doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy the foods you love. Many nutritionists now recommend the 80/20 rule, which encourages eating healthy meals 80% of the time and only indulging in foods like ice cream, pizza, and candy the other 20%. This allows you to enjoy the foods you love and maintain a healthy diet without feeling restricted. But remember, that while maybe all calories are not alike, you can still gain weight eating too much "healthy" food. Too many calories are too many calories!


Exercise is another key factor for maintaining your liposuction results. If you have not already, it’s important to start incorporating exercise throughout the week. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends 150 minutes of moderate-intensity exercise and two days of muscular strength training a week. This gives plenty of flexibility to find workouts you enjoy. For example, moderate-intensity exercise could be bike riding, hiking, or dancing, and muscle strengthening could include weight lifting or pilates. Find a routine that works for you, that you are able to maintain and even enjoy. But remember, you can't exercise your way out of too many calories in. The other 80/20 rule seems to be in effect here as well...the key to maintaining a healthy weight happens 80% in the kitchen and 20% in the gym!

Schedule a Liposuction Consultation

To learn more about liposuction and life after the procedure, schedule a consultation with Dr. John J. Corey in Scottsdale, AZ. Dr. Corey can answer your questions and let you know if liposuction is right for you. Contact the office today at 480-767-7700 or submit an online form