Posted: June 14, 2021
Breast augmentation has come a long way in recent years. Implant technology has improved by leaps and bounds, and so too have the techniques used during surgery. If your results from a past procedure are asymmetrical, disproportionate, or otherwise less than perfect, breast implant revision and replacement may be your ticket to a beautifully balanced look.
Common Reasons for an Irregular Breast Appearance
While breast augmentation has a long and successful track record, it’s possible to experience issues after surgery. Some of these issues can cause an unnatural breast appearance, such as:
- Saline or silicone rupture
- Symmastia or “Uni-boob”
- Visible rippling
- Displacement or malposition
- Capsular contracture
The complications listed above tend to have obvious signs and symptoms. Watch for indicators like lost breast size and firmness, reduced upper breast fullness, asymmetry, and tightness.
Of course, you can be dissatisfied with the look or feel of your breasts even if you aren’t experiencing an implant complication. Sometimes, factors such as the natural aging process or poor surgical technique are to blame. Other times, you may want to change things up to match your new preferences.
Achieving Beautiful Results Through Breast Implant Revision
Breast implant revision is the ideal way to correct cosmetic and functional issues that may be present after augmentation. The procedure will be customized to meet your unique needs, and may include:
- Capsule adjustment: If you’re dealing with capsular contracture or an implant that is not sitting in the proper location, this may be what is needed. It corrects issues like tightness, distortion, or an implant that is sitting either too high to too low. This may be done by removing some or all of the scar tissue around your implant or simply making adjustments to it.
- Changing your implant type: Some implants on the market were not available when you had your first procedure. For example, if you have saline implants, you may want to give silicone or gummy bear styles a try.
- Changing your implant size: You don’t have to keep the same implant volume forever. You can go larger or smaller to match your changing preferences.
- Changing your implant placement: Implants can be placed over or under the pectoral muscle. Some women find that going from over to under implant placement offers a more natural breast contour. It also reduces the risk of visible implant rippling and capsular contracture.
- Using new surgical techniques: Modern implant techniques allow for a beautiful result and help minimize future complications. Board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. John Corey trained in the United States and Brazil and is familiar with the most innovative global methods. He may tighten your tissue capsule, place a tissue matrix, or rely on other advanced approaches to create a balanced and flattering outcome.
Interested in learning what you might be able to expect from this procedure? View our implant revision and replacement before and after gallery!
It’s Time to Achieve the Results You’ve Always Wanted
Board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. John Corey can help you achieve the beautiful results you deserve through breast implant revision and replacement. Schedule a consultation at 480-767-7700 to get started. We serve Scottsdale, Phoenix, Chandler, Mesa, and nearby areas of Arizona.