Posted: August 28, 2017
Choosing a breast surgeon is an important decision. Ask yourself these 10 questions as you consider whether you have made the right choice:
1. Does the breast surgeon have training and experience I am confident in? You should feel good about the surgeon's training and experience. Dr. Corey is board-certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, a certification requiring rigorous demonstration of surgical skill and knowledge. He has been practicing plastic surgery since the early 1990s, and has served in several prestigious positions, including Chief of the Division of Plastic Surgery at Good Samaritan Regional Medical Center from 1994-1999 and is the immediate Past- President of the Arizona Society of Plastic Surgeons.
2. Does the plastic surgeon have an eye for aesthetics, and a concern for achieving my goals? Dr. John J. Corey's skills are a marriage of technical precision and aesthetically pleasing personalization. Following his training in the United States, Dr. Corey sought further training in Brazil under renowned Brazilian surgeons. Dr. Corey saw first-hand how Brazilian techniques focus largely on the art of the human form, creating beautiful results. American techniques that Dr. Corey learned seemed to at times, place more emphasis on technical points. Together, these approaches to breast surgery produce outstanding results.
3. Does the office and surgeon make you feel comfortable? Do you feel listened to? You should feel great about the surgeon you choose! Oftentimes the deciding factor is hard to define because it's more intuitive. Dr. Corey is personally committed to your goals and wants you to be exceptionally happy with your results. The first step in that process is effective, relaxed communication and Dr. Corey prides himself on achieving that. Come in and meet Dr. Corey and our staff. We think you'll feel right at home...
4. Do I know how routinely they perform breast surgeries? Your plastic surgeon should perform breast surgeries routinely. Dr. Corey performs a wide array of breast surgeries on an almost daily basis. As a result, he has a level of experience and know-how that his patients love.
5. Do I know where the procedure will be performed? As you plan your breast surgery, the process should be explained to you by the doctor and staff. An important thing to know is where the procedure will be performed: An accredited surgical center? A local hospital? The Doctors office? You should know this ahead of time.
6. Do I know what type of anesthetic will be used and what I should expect immediately after breast surgery? You want to know what to plan for. General anesthesia may take longer to wake up from than say, IV sedation or local only, and the effects can linger for a day or two so make sure you know what to expect.
7. Do I know when I will be able to go back to work? Just about every type of breast surgery requires you to take some time off from work. For most procedures, this time is brief. Most jobs can be resumed within four to seven days. Jobs involving heavy lifting can take a bit longer to return to. Knowing ahead means you can take the right amount of time off from work to help ensure a relaxed recovery.
8. Do I have a good idea of what to expect from results? How difficult will it be to achieve the results I am looking for? Part of what Dr. Corey does is to make sure his patients understand what to expect. We want to make sure that the procedure can fulfill your expectations. Although there is no way to show you an exact prediction, looking at before-and-after photos and discussing the results with Dr. Corey is a good way to gauge what is possible.
9. Do I know what the scars will look like? All procedures leave scars. A skilled cosmetic surgeon like Dr. Corey knows how to make them as minimal as possible, but your particular genetics have a huge influence over their final appearance. Ask to see images of scar results so you can get a good idea of what to expect.
10. Have I been shown how this breast surgery aligns with my goals and expectations? After a thorough discussion of what you want to achieve, your breast surgeon should describe how the procedure they recommend will accomplish your goals. Dr. Corey is 100 percent committed to your best results, and he will describe all of your options and what to expect from each.
Want to learn more about us or schedule a consultation? Please contact us at 480-767-7700. Dr. Corey proudly serves people from across region, including Phoenix, Scottsdale and Chandler.