Liposuction is one of the most popular plastic surgery procedures in the US. It was performed over 200,000 times in 2020, according to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons. But despite being a mainstream body contouring surgery, liposuction remains a source of some confusion.
Board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. John Corey is committed to patient education. For this reason, he wants to debunk some of the top misconceptions about liposuction, including that:
- Liposuction offers immediate results: This procedure can provide dramatic results without the need for additional sessions. However, those results aren’t instantly visible. Swelling and bruising can hide your new shape for several weeks.
- Fat will come back or travel elsewhere after surgery: Liposuction permanently removes excess fat cells from the treatment area. Fortunately, those cells won’t regrow after the procedure, and your body shouldn’t compensate for them in other areas either. Maintaining a relatively stable weight after surgery will help protect your results for years.
- Liposuction treats cellulite: Many patients come in looking to treat excess fat and cellulite. However, liposuction is only a good solution for the first concern. Cellulite is actually caused by fibrous bands that pull down on the skin. Liposuction doesn’t fix it.
- You will be left with loose skin: Our skin is capable of some pretty amazing things! It’s typically strong and elastic enough to shrink once excess fat is removed during surgery. However, there are some cases where patients don’t have enough skin elasticity to provide a great result. Dr. Corey will evaluate your skin quality during a consultation.
- Liposuction can help you lose weight: There are several different weight loss surgeries, but liposuction isn’t one of them. It’s meant for shaping and sculpting. You'll achieve the most satisfying results if you hit your ideal weight before the procedure.
Book a Liposuction Consultation in Scottsdale
Are you ready to reach your body goals with the help of liposuction? Call 480-767-7700 today to schedule a consultation with board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. John Corey. Our practice serves Scottsdale, Phoenix, Gilbert, Mesa, Chandler, Tempe, and nearby areas of Arizona.