In a perfect world, your breast implants would last for the rest of your life. Unfortunately, very few things in life last forever, and breast implants are no exception. Like most other medical devices, breast implants eventually wear out over time and will need to be replaced. The good news is that modern advances in breast implant technology allow you to enjoy your beautiful breast augmentation results for a very long time.
If you feel that it is time to replace your breast implants, it is important to work with a plastic surgeon who has extensive experience performing breast implant revision/replacement procedures. There are significant differences between an initial breast augmentation procedure and a revision procedure, and your surgeon must have the skill set to handle the unique challenges associated with breast implant replacement.
Scottsdale breast surgeon Dr. John Corey is board-certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and has more than two decades of experience performing breast implant revision and replacement procedures. The best way to learn about your implant replacement options is to speak with him in person. Please call (855) 515-4177 or contact John J. Corey, MD online to schedule a consultation. We welcome breast implant revision patients from Phoenix, Chandler, and all surrounding areas of Arizona.
Common Reasons for Breast Implant Revision/Replacement
Breast implant technology is always evolving and improving. As a result, we expect to see a continued increase in the lifespan of breast implants over the next few years. Currently, it is common for breast implants to last 15 years or more. However, there are a variety of reasons why you may choose to replace your breast implants, including:
- Breast implant rupture – Saline breast implants deflate when they rupture, which can cause breast asymmetry. Dr. Corey will work to schedule your appointment quickly so that you can restore your appearance as soon as possible. A rupture will not be as noticeable with silicone breast implants since they hold their shape better. Therefore, Dr. Corey recommends going for an MRI periodically to ensure your silicone implant hasn't ruptured.
- Changes in results over time – Most women are satisfied with their initial breast augmentation results, but over time you may develop issues such as sagging which change the way your breast implants look.
- Desire for a different style or size of implant – This is one of the most common reasons for implant replacement. Many women eventually desire a change in implant size, or decide to switch from saline implants to more natural looking and feeling silicone or form stable breast implant option.
- Unsatisfactory cosmetic results – If you are not happy with the results achieved during your initial breast augmentation, Dr. Corey can perform a revision procedure to address any aesthetic issues you are experiencing.
There are a number of reasons you may wish to consider breast implant revision surgery. Aesthetic imperfections are certainly among the top motivating factors, but so too are issues of comfort and health. While rare, breast augmentation complications can occur on occasion. You may want to consider breast implant replacement if you experience one of the following complications:
If you begin to experience any pain or discomfort around your breast implants or if you notice changes to their appearance, we encourage you to call our Scottsdale plastic surgery center to schedule a consultation with our Dr. Corey and learn more about your breast implant revision and replacement options.
Breast Implant Revision Candidates
To be a good candidate for breast augmentation revision surgery, you must be in generally good health. As with your initial breast implant placement, good health includes being a nonsmoker. If you are a smoker, you will need to quit at least six weeks in advance of your procedure.
In addition to being a healthy nonsmoker, good candidates for breast implant revision should be:
- Prepared for a surgical procedure
- Able to take time off for recovery
- Willing to follow Dr. Corey’s pre and postoperative instructions
- Aware of all potential risks and complications
Dr. Corey will take time during your breast revision consultation to answer any questions you may have about the procedure including recovery time and surgical preparation. He will also discuss your desires and goals, and help you better understand what this procedure can help you accomplish. If you are not a good candidate for revision surgery, Dr. Corey will be happy to provide you with alternative options or work with you to determine what will be necessary to increase your chances of a successful and rewarding procedure.
If you are considering breast implant revision surgery, please call (855) 515-4177 to schedule your consultation with our board-certified Scottsdale plastic surgeon today.