Your choice of breast implant will have a direct impact on the look and feel of your breast augmentation procedure. During your initial consultation at our Scottsdale office, board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. John Corey will discuss all of your breast implant options to help ensure you are provided the information you need to make the decision that is best for your body.
To schedule your breast augmentation consultation, please contact John J. Corey, MD online or by calling our Scottsdale office at (855) 515-4177 today. Dr. Corey welcomes breast augmentation patients from Phoenix, Mesa, Chandler, and all other areas of Arizona.
Breast Implant Incisions and Placement
Dr. Corey offers three primary breast implant incision options. These are:
- Periariolar – around the nipple in the darker skin of the areola
- Inframammary – along the crease where breast tissue and chest meet
- Transaxillary – in the natural folds of the armpit
These incisions all offer unique benefits, making each better suited to different individuals. During your breast augmentation consultation, Dr. Corey will carefully listen to your aesthetic desires and discuss all incision options to help you decide on the one you feel will best meet your needs.
All three incision options allow for implant placement either directly under the breast tissue (subglandular) or behind the pectoral muscle wall (submuscular). The main difference between these placement options is where the implant is positioned relative to the breast tissue and the pectoral muscle. While this difference may seem minor, each placement option offers different advantages and yields different results.
Subglandular benefits may include:
- More dramatic results, such as sharply defined cleavage and the ability to accommodate larger implants
- Easier procedural placement which can lead to a shorter and less painful recovery
- Elimination of pectoral distortion when muscles are flexed, particularly beneficial to body-builders
Submuscular benefits may include:
- More natural looking breasts with implant edges and ripples that tend to be less visible or not visible at all
- Reduced likelihood of breasts sagging over time as a result of increased implant support
- Reduced risk of capsular contracture (a natural bodily response to foreign objects)
- Mammogram images that are easier to obtain and read
- Less risk of interference with breastfeeding
When considering the advantages to each of these options, it is important to remember that there are also other factors that will influence the overall results of your breast augmentation. These include:
- Your original breast size and your desired implant size
- The thickness of your pectoral muscles
- The type of implant you prefer
- Your cosmetic and physical expectations
All of these decisions will be discussed in detail during your initial consultation with our board-certified Arizona plastic surgeon.
Silicone and Saline Breast Implants
Both silicone gel and saline breast implants are great devices that have been used for decades. While there is not one “best” implant in all situations, each offers specific benefits that may be more attractive to individal women.
Similarities between saline and silicone breast implants include:
- Safety – Both types of breast implant have a long history of safe and effective use.
- Outer Shell – The outer shell in both types of implants is a silicone rubber.
- Longevity of Shell – Breast implants have a life-expectancy of 10 to 12 years, though some variance is possible. Should the need arise to replace your breast implants, Dr. Corey would be happy to discuss breast implant revision with you.
- Warranty – All breast implants are covered by at least a 10-year warranty. The specifics of these warranties varies from manufacturer to manufacturer and can be discussed in greater detail during your breast augmentation consultation.
While not part of an official warranty, Dr. Corey does not charge a surgeon’s fee to replace implants for women who underwent their initial procedure at our Scottsdale plastic surgery center.
Differences between silicone and saline breast implants include:
- Cost – Silicone implants are typically more expensive than saline alternatives.
- Incision and Adjustability – Saline implants are filled after they are placed, providing the dual benefit of a smaller incision and the ability to adjust the volume of each breast following implant placement. Silicone implants come prefilled at a fixed volume and will require a larger incision.
- Rupture and How You Will Know – Saline implants empty when ruptured – typically in as little as 48 hours. Silicone implants, particularly form stable options, may not show signs of rupture at all. This means it may require an MRI to detect ruptures in silicone breast implants, but also means that ruptures are unlikely to impact aesthetic results.
The bottom line is, there are both psychosocial and physical reasons to pick one implant over the other and neither is ideally suited for each body-type. During your initial consultation, Dr. Corey will assess your frame and natural contours, discuss the benefits and limitations of your breast implant options, and help you decide on the one that will best accomplish your aesthetic goals.
A Third Option: The Gummy Bear Breast Implant
Form stable breast implants, more commonly known as “gummy bear implants,” offer an alternative to traditional saline and silicone options. Dr. Corey is pleased to offer Natrelle® 410 Silicone Breast Implants – an advanced form stable option – allowing him to produce highly natural looking and feeling breast augmentation results.
The cohesive gel filling is at once supple and firm, giving these implants a completely natural look and feel. This enables them to be placed above the muscles in the chest without producing a highly enhanced or artificial look. In addition to looking and feeling almost exactly like natural breast tissue, form stable breast implants:
- Do not ripple, wrinkle, or bubble
- May reduce risks for capsular contracture
- Hold a natural breast shape
- Do not leak when ruptured
While rupture is less common with all modern breast implant options, it is not impossible. Gummy bear breast implants maintain their shape, look, and feel following rupture, allowing them to outlast most other options by several years.
Ultimately, it is a woman’s choice as to which implant she receives. By offering many breast implant options, Dr. Corey is able to ensure each of our breast enlargement patients is provided with the solution most suitable for her individual needs.
To schedule your breast augmentation consultation with Dr. Corey, please call (855) 515-4177 today. Our plastic surgery facility is located in Scottsdale and equipped with modern amenities and comforts. We welcome patients from all areas of Arizona including Phoenix, Mesa, Tempe, Chandler, and Gilbert.