Scottsdale plastic surgeon Dr. John J. Corey has practiced in Arizona, since 1993 – beginning his practice immediately after completing his residency at the Medical College of Georgia and further cosmetic surgery training in Brazil. He is board-certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, a member of both the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery and the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, and is the former Chief of Plastic Surgery at Good Samaritan Regional Medical Center in Phoenix. Dr. Corey has been voted one of the top doctors in plastic surgery by Maricopa County physicians in a CBS Channel 5 poll and by his peers in the yearly "Top Doc" edition of Phoenix Magazine.
Dr. Corey frequently lectures at Arizona State University, and he is an Affiliate Assistant Professor at Midwestern University. Dr. Corey is also one of the most respected and sought-after faculty members at the Osler Institute, which provides hands-on review for practicing plastic surgeons worldwide who are preparing for their own board-certification. Please visit our Forums & Lectures page for additional information.
If you are looking for a plastic surgeon in Scottsdale, Phoenix, Chandler, Mesa, Tempe, or throughout Arizona, please contact John J. Corey, MD online or by calling our office at (855) 515-4177 to schedule an informative consultation.
Combining Brazilian Technique and American Standards
At our Scottsdale plastic surgery office, Dr. Corey draws on his extensive training both in Brazil and here in the United States. After graduating from the University Of Utah School Of Medicine and fulfilling prerequisite training in general surgery at Maricopa Medical Center in Phoenix, Dr. Corey entered the Medical College of Georgia in Augusta to begin his plastic surgery residency. It was there that Dr. Corey met Dr. Renato Saltz, one of his professors, who introduced him to some of the surgical ideas and concepts of Brazil.
Intrigued by the Brazilian approach to plastic surgery, Dr. Corey traveled to the country in July 1993 to study in Rio de Janeiro as well as with other surgeons in other cities. His training there taught him to view plastic surgery from a more artistic standpoint.
Our Scottsdale plastic surgeon explains that there are several reasons why the Brazilian approach is somewhat different from that of many American surgeons. "Brazilians seem to have more of an artistic eye, not relying on the same measurement for every woman. We Americans have a tendency to be very technical. We want to know exactly how much to contour and how much to measure. Brazilians seem to approach procedures more artistically. They really believe in sculpting the form and creating curves and lines of the feminine shape. Ultimately, this approach appeals more to my philosophy, helping me provide a balanced approach to surgical beauty."
If you would like to learn more about Dr. Corey's philosophy, please click here to read a short -interview or call (855) 515-4177 to schedule a personalized consultation. We welcome patients living in Gilbert, Phoenix, Mesa, Tempe, Chandler and nearby areas at our plastic surgery facility in Scottsdale.
Education, Training, and Certifications
- University of Utah (Salt Lake City, UT), 1981
- University of Utah School of Medicine, 1986
- General Surgery, SW Michigan Area Health Education Center; 1987
- General Surgery, SW Michigan Area Health Education Center; 1988
- General Surgery, Maricopa Medical Center Residency Program; 1989
- Chief Resident, General Surgery - Maricopa Medical Center Residency, 1990
- Plastic Surgery, Medical College of Georgia Plastic Surgery; 1993
- Hand Surgery, Maricopa Medical Center Residency Program; 1991
- Chief – Division of Plastic Surgery (1994-99)
- Good Samaritan Regional Medical Center; Phoenix, AZ
- Chief – Division of Hand Surgery (1996-98)
- Scottsdale Memorial Hospital – Osborn; Scottsdale, AZ
- Affiliate Assistant Professor (1997-Present)
- Clinical Professor – Gateway Community College (1994-96)
School of Nursing
- Plastic Surgery Representative (2001-Present)
- Plastic Surgery Representative (1995-97)
State of Arizona
- National Faculty Member for Plastic Surgery
The Osler Institute – Terra Haute, IN
- Member, American Society of Plastic Surgeons
- Member, American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery
- Member, Arizona State Society of Plastic Surgeons
- American Board of Plastic Surgery, 1995
Dr. Corey is a paid faculty member or consultant to the following organizations:
- National Laser Institute
- The Osler Institute
- Midwestern University
- Lifecell Corporation
Click here to see how Dr. Corey's numbers for procedures performed compares to the average number performed by other American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery surgeons.
Why Choose Dr. Corey
To schedule a consultation with our board-certified Scottsdale plastic surgeon, please call (855) 515-4177 today. We serve patients from Tempe, Phoenix, and all areas of Arizona.